If you’re undertaking further study or professional development opportunities, applying for a grant or scholarship might be a way to help fund all or some of your costs.
We’ve compiled a list of grants, awards and scholarships offered annually by ANMF (Victorian Branch) and other organisations. Each administering organisation will have terms and conditions and application deadlines, so read the eligibility requirements carefully.
ANMF (Victorian Branch)
ANMF members are eligible to apply for grants offered or administered by the branch. Members are notified via our email ‘On the Record’, e-news and The Handover.
- ANMF Fee Grants – applications re-open 2024
- Conference, study and grants project – ongoing
- Higher Education and Research Grant – applications close 30 September
- Humanitarian Grant for refugee nurses and midwives – ongoing
- Vi Elliott Occupational Health Nurses Trust – applications close 30 September
Australian Nurses Memorial Centre (ANMC)
The ANMC was established following a public appeal initiated by returning nurses from Second World War. Each year they offer a number of postgraduate scholarships as part of their mission to act as a ‘living memorial by advancing the nursing profession through education’. Application period is 1 July to 31 August annually for:
- ANMC Vivian Bullwinkel Award
- ANMC Betty Jeffery Award
- ANMC Indigenous Scholarship
- ANMC Commemorative Scholarship
- ANMC Mental Health Scholarship
- Anne Murray Scholarship
- The Australian Legion of Ex-Servicemen and Women Scholarships
- Prince Henry’s affiliates annual scholarship
- Michael Dent Scholarship
National Tertiary Education Union (NTEU)
The NTEU Joan Hardy Scholarship for post-graduate nursing research is available for any student undertaking a study of nurses, nursing culture or practices, or historical aspects of nursing as a lay or professional practice. Applications closed Friday 25 August.
Victorian Nurses and Midwives Trust
The Victorian Nurses and Midwives Trust (formerly the Nurses Board of Victoria) offers grants. Applications open July and close 2 September (major grants) and 7 October (minor grants).
Victorian State Government
The Victorian State Government through the Department of Health offers scholarships, including:
- Victorian AOD workers to undertake the Graduate Certificate of Addictive Behaviours in 2024 – applications close Sunday 1 October
- Maternal and Child Health (MCH) nursing scholarship to undertake a Graduate Diploma in Child, Family and Community Nursing at either administering organisations La Trobe (applications will re-open late 2023) or RMIT (applications close 7 January 2024)
- Continuing Nursing and Midwifery Education Grant
If you work in the public sector, the government also funds postgraduate nursing and midwifery scholarships via each public health service, so contact your Director of Nursing or education unit.
There are many other organisations that offer scholarships, fellowships, grants and prizes, such as:
- professional organisations e.g. the Council of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Nurses and Midwives (CATSINaM), Australian College of Perioperative Nurses (ACORN), Australian College of Nursing, Australian College of Midwives, College of Emergency Nursing Australasia (CENA) or Australian College of Critical Care Nurses (ACCCN)
- your university
- philanthropic societies and trusts, such as the Churchill.