Applications for a number of grants, awards, prizes and scholarships administered by ANMF (Victorian Branch) and other organisations are now open.
If you’re undertaking further study, professional development opportunities or a research project, applying for an award might be a way to help fund either all or some of your costs associated. For instance, grants only cover partial costs such as travel, books, conference fees or accommodation, etc, while scholarships can cover all or some of your costs.
Each administering organisation will have terms and conditions and application deadlines, so read the eligibility requirements carefully.
ANMF (Victorian Branch)
ANMF members and Special Interest Group members are eligible to apply for several grants, awards and prizes offered or administered by the branch. Application times vary and are published in our . Applications will re-open in 2020 and members will be notified via email (‘On the record’ and e-news) and our quarterly print publication, The Handover. To give you an idea of when applications are due we have published 2019 closing dates.
- ANMF Fee Grants – applications open in January 2020 and close on 31 March 2020
- ANMF Metropolitan Education Grant – applications closed Friday 26 July 2019
- ANMF Regional Education Grant – applications closed Friday 26 July 2019
- Vi Elliott Occupational Health Nurses Trust – applications closed Friday 23 August
- Higher Education and Research Grant – applications closed Friday 27 September 2019
- Elizabeth Hulme Grant – applications closed Friday 27 September 2019
- Humanitarian Grant for refugee nurses and midwives – ongoing
- Conference, study and grants project – ongoing
Victorian State Government
The Victorian State Government through the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS), offers the:
- postgraduate mental health nurse scholarship – applications closed Friday 12th July 2019 and will re-open in 2020
- postgraduate AOD scholarship to undertake the Graduate Certificate of Addictive Behaviours in 2020 – applications closed 25 October 2019 and will re-open in 2020
- Maternal and Child Health (MCH) nursing scholarship to undertake a Graduate Diploma in Child, Family and Community Nursing at either La Trobe or RMIT (administering organisations) – applications close 2 December 2019.
If you work in the public sector, the government also funds postgraduate nursing and midwifery scholarships via each public health service, so contact your Director of Nursing or education unit.
Nurses Memorial Centre (NMC)
The NMC was established following a public appeal initiated by returning nurses from Second World War. Each year they offer a number of scholarships for undertaking postgraduate study as part of their mission to act as a ‘living memorial by advancing the nursing profession through education’. Applications closed 31 August 2019 and will re-open in 2020 for:
- The Australian Legion of Ex-Servicemen and Women Scholarships
- Vivian Bullwinkel Award – Nurses Memorial Centre Scholarship and Award
- Betty Jeffery Award – Nurses Memorial Centre Scholarship and Award
- Indigenous Scholarship
- The Anne Murray Mental Health Scholarship
Nurses Board of Victoria Legacy Limited (NBVLL)
When the regulatory functions of the Nurses Board of Victoria (NBV) were transferred to the national registration scheme, the NBV used its assets to establish the Nurses Board of Victoria Legacy Limited (NBVLL), which offers grants and the Rosemary Kelley Trust for nurses and midwives. Applications for 2020 closed 30 August 2019 and will re-open in 2020.
Hospital in the Home (HITH) Society Australasia Ltd
HITH Society Australasia represents health professionals who provide hospital in the home care. HITH offers two annual scholarships for eligible nurses. Applications closed 31 August 2019 and will re-open in 2020 for:
- Regal Home Health Scholarship
- Janis Coconis HITH Society Scholarship
National Tertiary Education Union (NTEU)
The NTEU Joan Hardy Scholarship for post-graduate nursing research is available for any student undertaking a study of nurses, nursing culture or practices, or historical aspects of nursing as a lay or professional practice. Applications closed Friday 26 July 2019, dates for 2020 TBC.
There are many organisations that offer scholarships, fellowships, grants and prizes, such as:
- some ANMF Special Interest Groups, such as Continence Nurses Society Australia – Victoria and Tasmania
- the Council of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Nurses and Midwives (CATSINaM)
- other professional organisations, e.g. Australian College of Nursing, Australian College of Midwives
- your university
- philanthropic societies and trusts, such as the Churchill.