Applications for a number of grants, awards, prizes and scholarships administered by ANMF (Victorian Branch) and other organisations are now open.
If you’re undertaking further study, professional development opportunities or a research project, applying for an award might be a way to help fund either all or some of your costs associated. For instance, grants only cover partial costs such as travel, books, conference fees or accommodation, etc, while scholarships can cover all or some of your costs.
Each administering organisation will have terms and conditions and application deadlines, so read the eligibility requirements carefully.
ANMF (Victorian Branch)
ANMF members and Special Interest Group members are eligible to apply for several grants, awards and prizes offered or administered by the branch. Applications are now open for:
- ANMF Metropolitan Education Grant – applications closed Friday 26 July 2019 and will reopen in 2020
- ANMF Regional Education Grant – applications closed Friday 26 July 2019 and will reopen in 2020
- Vi Elliott Occupational Health Nurses Trust – applications closed Friday 23 August and will reopen in 2020
- Higher Education and Research Grant – applications close Friday 27 September
- Elizabeth Hulme Grant – applications close Friday 27 September
- Humanitarian Grant for refugee nurses and midwives – ongoing
- Conference, study and grants project – ongoing
Nurses Memorial Centre (NMC)
The NMC was established following a public appeal initiated by returning nurses from Second World War. Each year they offer a number of scholarships for undertaking postgraduate study as part of their mission to act as a ‘living memorial by advancing the nursing profession through education’. Applications close 31 August 2019 for:
- The Australian Legion of Ex-Servicemen and Women Scholarships
- Vivian Bullwinkel Award – Nurses Memorial Centre Scholarship and Award
- Betty Jeffery Award – Nurses Memorial Centre Scholarship and Award
- Indigenous Scholarship
- The Anne Murray Mental Health Scholarship
Nurses Board of Victoria Legacy Limited (NBVLL)
When the regulatory functions of the Nurses Board of Victoria (NBV) were transferred to the national registration scheme, the NBV used its assets to establish the Nurses Board of Victoria Legacy Limited (NBVLL), which offers grants and the Rosemary Kelley Trust for nurses and midwives. Applications close 30 August 2019.
Hospital in the Home (HITH) Society Australasia Ltd
HITH Society Australasia represents health professionals who provide hospital in the home care. HITH offers two annual scholarships for eligible nurses. Applications close 31 August 2019 for:
- Regal Home Health Scholarship
- Janis Coconis HITH Society Scholarship
National Tertiary Education Union (NTEU)
The NTEU Joan Hardy Scholarship for post-graduate nursing research is available for any student undertaking a study of nurses, nursing culture or practices, or historical aspects of nursing as a lay or professional practice. Applications closed Friday 26 July 2019, dates for 2020 TBC.
There are many organisations that offer scholarships, fellowships, grants and prizes, such as:
- the Victorian State Government, including the postgraduate mental health nurse scholarship. If you work in the public sector, the government also funds postgraduate nursing and midwifery scholarships via each public health service, so contact your Director of Nursing or education unit.
- some ANMF Special Interest Groups, such as Continence Nurses Society Australia – Victoria and Tasmania
- the Council of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Nurses and Midwives (CATSINaM)
- other professional organisations, e.g. Australian College of Nursing
- your university
- philanthropic societies and trusts, such as the Churchill.