Main Content

Your enrolled nursing career path

Your enrolled nursing career path

If you’re a soon-to-be registered as an enrolled nurse (EN), you are likely wanting to know what your options are.

There are several career opportunities in a variety of workplaces and clinical areas. An online search of enrolled nurse job advertisements reveals a plethora of jobs available in both metropolitan and regional or rural areas.

The good news is that further monies were committed in the Andrews Government 2023/2024 budget for public hospital enrolled nurse transition to practice programs available.

What are my options to work as an enrolled nurse?

Transition to Practice programs

It is not a NMBA requirement to complete a transition-to-practice program (also referred to as a ‘post registration year’ or graduate program), however, you may find that you would thrive with a structured supported program.

We’ve compiled a list of health services offering transition to practice programs for enrolled nurses in 2023. It is by no means exhaustive, and you will still need to contact each facility directly about its intakes (the Victorian Department of Health has a list of public and private hospitals or try an internet search):

  • Austin Health
  • Alexandra District Health
  • Alfred Mental and Addiction Health
  • Barwon Health
  • Benalla
  • Bendigo Health
  • Cabrini
  • Colac Area Health
  • Eastern Health
  • East Grampians Health Service
  • East Wimmera Health Service
  • Epworth Healthcare
  • Grampians Health – Ballarat, Stawell
  • Healthscope
  • Kerang District Health
  • Kilmore District Health
  • Knox Private Hospital- Healthscope
  • Kooweerup Regional Health Service
  • Kyabram & District Health Service
  • Maryborough District Health Service
  • Monash Health
  • Northern Hospital
  • Peninsula Health
  • Ramsay Health Victoria
  • Royal Womens Hospital
  • Seymour Health
  • Southwest Healthcare
  • St Vincents Hospital
  • St Vincent’s Private
  • Swanhill District Health
  • The Melbourne Clinic
  • Western District Health Service
  • Western Health
  • West Gippsland Health Service

Applying directly to work as an enrolled nurse

There are no limitations to applying for enrolled nurse positions. It is the same process as with any other job. Enrolled nurses can work in:

  • specialist clinics
  • general medical and surgical unit
  • day surgery unit
  • aged care
  • forensic and correctional health
  • mental health services
  • emergency
  • theatre nursing, and many more areas.

Try job search websites such as Seek or Careers.Vic.

Permanent pool

If you’re unable to obtain a transition-to-practice program or a permanent full- or part-time position, you could apply for work in the permanent pool. It would give you experience in different areas within that health service and an opportunity for future permanent work.

To apply, send your curriculum vitae (CV) and a cover letter outlining your interest to each hospital’s human resources department for nurse bank. Details will be listed on their websites.

Once you have been accepted you will also need to complete the general online competencies such as:

  1. hand hygiene
  2. fire and emergency procedures
  3. managing bloods
  4. medications
  5. practical competency of basic adult life support.

Before you start your initial shifts, support is sometimes available with supernumerary shifts (you will need to check with each workplace).

Always make sure you are fully oriented and familiar with the local policies and procedures for your workplace and ensure your knowledge is up-to-date.

Further study

ANMF has educational fee grants for eligible EN members who may wish to study the Advanced Diploma of Nursing or the Diploma of Alcohol and Other Drugs. Applications for the next round of fee grants will open January 2024.

You may also wish to undertake further a Bachelor of Nursing and/or Midwifery to become a registered nurse and/or midwife. In 2022, the Andrews Government announced scholarships for enrolled nurses to undertake a bachelor degree.

Need support?

The ANMF Graduate and Final Year Student Support Officer can assist you via