In 2022 the Andrews Government announced as part of its election commitments, a $5000 bonus for graduating nurses and midwives in 2022, 2023 and 2024 if they commit to working in the public hospital system for two years.
This initiative was the result of ANMF advocacy on behalf of current student members who felt the pinch throughout the pandemic and missed out on the State Government for students of nursing and midwifery from 2023.
Update to eligibility criteria
ANMF have successfully advocated for the State Government to remove the PMCV match eligibility criteria.
You now must:
- be currently registered as a nurse or midwife with the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia
- have graduated from an eligible Australian undergraduate nursing or midwifery course in 2022, 2023 or 2024
- have begun a nursing, mental health nursing or midwifery graduate program in a Victorian public health service
- start the graduate program in the same calendar year or the calendar year immediately following course completion
However, members should be aware there are still some graduates who could be ineligible, please visit the Department of Health website.
What if I am undertaking a double degree?
The ANMF has raised and continues to advocate for the double degree students who’ll complete their fourth year of study in 2025 to be eligible for the sign-on bonus. ANMF encourage everyone to keep an eye on further updates on the Department of Health website.
When will this be paid?
The sign-on bonus will be paid in two $2500 instalments:
- the first instalment will be paid by the end of the 2nd quarter of your graduate year
- the remainder will be paid after you complete two full years of continuous employment with an eligible public health service. This is calculated from your graduate program start date at a minimum of 0.8 FTE or pro rata equivalent.
Will I have to apply?
You will not need to apply for the sign-on bonus. You will be contacted by the Department of Education and Training to complete documentation including your banking for the money to be directly paid to you.