Nurses, midwives and carers are on the frontline and, at the same time, may also be personally affected family violence, sexual assault, alcohol abuse and mental health episodes, especially during major holidays.
Look after yourself during these busy periods, support each other, and debrief properly for self care. We’ve compiled this list of support services for you and your colleagues.
If you are in immediate danger, please contact 000.
The Nursing and Midwifery Health Program (NMHPV) is open 8.30am-5pm weekdays (except public holidays) for those needing confidential support and referral, including domestic violence – 9415 7551. If you need support outside those hours and days, contact Nurse and Midwife Support.
WIRE (Women’s Information and Referral Exchange) can also provide support and referral for women, nonbinary or gender diverse people on any issue over the phone, online and in-person – 1300 134 130.
Family violence or sexual assault services
If you or your colleagues are experiencing family violence, we have created Safe Haven, which contains information about support services and leave entitlements.
- Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre – 1800 015 188
- Sexual Assault Crisis Line – 1800 806 292
- 1800 RESPECT – 1800 737 732
- MensLine Australia – 1300 789 978
Open during business hours
- Djirra – 1800 105 303 – assistance for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander victims/survivors of family violence and sexual assault.
- Domestic Violence Resource Centre Victoria (DVRCV) – 9486 9866 (bh referrals) – including support for women with disabilities and women living in regional areas.
- inTouch Multicultural Centre Against Family Violence – 1800 755 988 – services, programs and responses to issues of family violence in CALD (culturally and linguistically diverse) communities.
- The Orange Door – free service for adults, children and young people who are experiencing or have experienced family violence and families who need extra support with the care of children.
- Men’s referral service (No to violence) – 1300 766 491 – anonymous and confidential telephone service for men who are wanting to stop their violent or abusive behaviour.
- Victims of Crime Victoria – 1800 819 817 – for men experiencing domestic violence