ANMF (Vic Branch) has provided the Victorian Government with feedback on the proposed Royal Commission into Mental Health terms of reference.
Assistant Secretary Pip Carew and Mental Health Nursing Officer Donna Hansen-Vella attended one of Mental Health Minister Martin Foley’s 23 stakeholder consultations to provide feedback on royal commission themes and establish priorities.
The themes were:
- prevention and early intervention
- social isolation, depression, anxiety and trauma
- accessibility and navigating the mental health system
- integration between alcohol and other drug services and mental health services
- community mental health services
- acute mental health services
- forensic mental health services
- preventing suicide
- workforce development and retention
- deliverable reform to improve outcomes for people living with a mental illness.
The Branch believes the nursing workforce in both inpatient and community services is critical to providing holistic care to people requiring mental health services.
ANMF would like the royal commission to identify elements within the mental health system that are working well in addition to identifying flaws and deficiencies.