The ANMF continues to work closely with the Department of Health and education providers to ensure that clinical placement hours for all final year students are being prioritised. All parties recognise how critical it is for mandated course curriculum [minimum] practice experience/hours to be met in order to graduate and register on time.
ANMF is aware that there is more ongoing work to be done on behalf of students as some education providers are still experiencing placement delays. We acknowledge that clinical placements are critical to your learning experience, and delays in coordinating placements can be a worrying situation for our student members.
Some tips that might be helpful to consider:
- Contact your clinical placement coordinator to seek proposed clinical placement dates; and put all requests/enquiries in writing.
- Where you know of fellow students in the same situation, go to the head of your education provider/clinical placement coordinator as a group – your voices are stronger when you work together.
- Take any placement opportunity that is offered and be ready to go on placement at short notice should a late placement offer become available (we know this sometimes is easier said than done). If you are within the final three months of completing the academic component of your course you can start your application with AHPRA for your Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia registration early. Getting a head start on the registration process will be beneficial as the application can take some time.
- Use your time to complete any other course requirements to stay on track.
- Remember there are many students in the same boat and you are not alone. If you need to talk to someone or feel like you are struggling, you can contact the Nursing and Midwifery Health Program (NMHP) Victoria. The NMHP is a free, confidential counselling support service, that is run by nurses and midwives, for nurses, midwives and students.
As we all know this is a very unprecedented time, the COVID-19 pandemic is affecting everyone differently. Your situation is important to us. Hang in there. You will be registered and working before you know it.