The Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation (Vic Branch) negotiates enterprise agreements for almost 1900 work sites in Victoria. These agreements outline the wages and conditions of tens of thousands nurse, midwife and personal care worker members and non-members.
Each enterprise agreement has an expiry date of up to four years from when it was approved by the Fair Work Commission.
There are 664 Victorian work sites in residential aged care with enterprise agreements, meaning a never-ending cycle of negotiations in that sector.
Enterprise agreements covering 359 workplaces came up for renegotiation in 2018, with another 187 to be renegotiated in 2019.
Each enterprise agreement requires Job Rep and members meetings to develop the log of claims and discuss the negotiations. A log of claims is a list of improvements – for example, wage rises, professional development leave improvements or better staffing, that members are seeking to achieve in their next agreement. ANMF industrial officers, organisers, elected officials and sometimes Job Reps will negotiate new agreements with the employers.
Here is a snapshot (not all) of the number and types of enterprise agreements ANMF negotiates.
- 415 worksites covered by the Nurses and Midwives (Victorian Public Sector) (Single Interest Employers) Enterprise Agreement 2016-2020, including 150 public hospitals, 167 community health centres, 31 nursing homes and 18 hostels
- 147 mental health wards or services covered by the Victorian Public Mental Health Services Enterprise Agreement 2016-2020
- 75 separate agreements covering nurses and midwives employed by local government.
- 69 separate agreements covering nurses employed in medical clinics
- 40 workplaces covered by enterprise agreements in day procedure centres
- 32 aged care facilities owned by Japara covered by the Aged Care Services Australia Group Pty Ltd ANMF and HWU (Victoria) Enterprise Agreement 2017
- 28 aged care facilities owned by Estia covered by the Estia Health VIC Enterprise Agreement 2017
- 26 aged care facilities owned by BUPA covered by the Bupa Aged Care Australia Victorian Enterprise Agreement 2017
- 26 aged care facilities covered by the Mercy Health and Aged Care Inc, ANMF and HSU Enterprise Agreement 2014
- 25 aged care facilities owned by Blue Cross covered by the BlueCross Community and Residential Care Services Group ANMF and HSU Enterprise Agreement 2017
- 21 private mental health facilities covered by agreements
- 20 aged care facilities owned by Arcare covered by the Arcare Pty Ltd ANMF and HWU (Victoria) Enterprise Agreement 2017
- 20 pathology centres operated by Australian Clinical Labs covered by the Healthscope Pathology – Victoria – Enterprise Agreement 2015-2018
- 19 medical imaging centres covered by the MIA Victoria Nurses Enterprise Agreement 2016
- 18 Pathology centres operated by Dorevitch Pathology covered by the Mayne Health Dorevitch Pathology Certified Agreement 2004 (recently superseded by the decision of the Full Bench)
- 18 aged care facilities covered by the Catholic Homes (Victoria) Residential Services Enterprise Agreement 2013-2017
- 18 worksites covered by the Australian Red Cross Blood Service Nursing Enterprise Agreement Victoria 2015
- 18 aged care facilities covered by the Regis Aged Care Pty Ltd, ANMF and HSU Victoria Agreement 2014
- 17 palliative care providers covered by the Nurses Mercy Palliative Care Ltd Enterprise Agreement 2017-2021
- 17 aged care facilities owned by Allity covered by the Allity Enterprise Agreement (Victoria) 2014
- 17 prisons who employ nurses covered by the Correct Care Australasia Nurses (Victorian Prisons) Enterprise Agreement 2017
- 16 aged care facilities covered by the Baptcare Community Care ANMF & HSU Enterprise Agreement 2013
- 15 hospitals covered by the Healthscope – Victoria – Nurses and Midwives Agreement 2016-2020
- 15 bush nursing centres covered by separate enterprise agreements
- 15 hospitals covered by the Ramsay Health Care Victoria Nurses and Midwives Enterprise Agreement 2016-2020
- 14 aged care facilities covered by the Benetas, Nurses and Aged Care Employees (Residential Care) ANMF and HWU Enterprise Agreement 2014.
- 13 sites including clinics at military bases covered by the Medibank Enterprise Agreement 2016
- 12 hospitals covered by the Epworth HealthCare Nurses Enterprise Agreement 2016 – 2020
- 11 medical clinics covered by the Healthscope Medical Centres and ANMF Practice Nurses Enterprise Agreement 2013
- 8 worksites covered by the Victorian Public Service Enterprise Agreement 2016
- 8 forensic mental health sites covered by the Victorian Institute of Forensic Mental Health Services Enterprise Agreement 2016 -2020
- 7 radiation oncology centres operated by GenesisCare covered by the Radiation Oncology Victoria Nurses Enterprise Agreement 2014
- 5 endoscopy centres covered by the Melbourne Endoscopy Group Nurses Enterprise Agreement 2017
- School nurses employed in government schools covered by the Nurses (Department of Education and Training) Agreement 2016.